Forums

The Woodburner :: Forums :: Pyrography in General
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

(Newbie) Things to know before I begin-

Author Post
clairethecelt
Sun May 31 2015, 03:20AM
Registered Member #15900
Brand new to the realm of woodworking! Out of the many questions I have so far, I'd like to begin by asking:

Where can I find good sustainable/reclaimed wood to burn? I try to be as eco-friendly as possible-
Friends have old pallets to offer and things like that- is that a good idea?

What room in the house should I work? Garage is jam-packed, cat would play with tools if in a public area, which leaves the bedroom and back porch

Silly questions but I could really use help- thanks a lot!

Mountain
Fri Jun 05 2015, 03:28PM
Registered Member #15904
I have no way of knowing in the area you are in what may be easily obtained, but I have some potential ideas you could check into.

Tree trimming companies commonly have to remove trees from yards and lots that have died, become diseased or are endangering buildings. They commonly have to pay to get rid of the wood, you could try and contact a few and let them know that you would be interested in certain types and sizes of wood when it may become available. There are many small private mills around these days even in the cities, one can buy a brand new bandmill these days and be setup ready to cut for 3 to 4 thousand so many people have gotten into them. Try to find someone with a mill in the area and they could likely supply wood or cut sustainable for you that you get from tree trimmers etc...

I am in very rural Idaho so this works well for me, I have a Hudson bandmill and the neighbor John to the east of me has a larger bandmill and a very large blade mill, and just on this 4 mile loop of road there are three other private mills. I also have a best friend that has run a tree trimming service for 30 years and I get a lot of wood from him.

Here you can buy 4 cord wood permits for firewood for $20, you are not allowed to take anything living or take out anything over four feet or anything cedar at all. One could easily cut dead trees which is sustainable into four foot sections to be cut into ovals on a mill or cut into ovals with a chainsaw.

Amazon sells these as well, but they want an exorbitant price for them, an oval 6 inches by 10 inches was over $10. If you can't find a good supply let me know, if you pay for shipping I could supply you with some material, it costs me nearly nothing for this stuff. Good luck on your endeavors.
Mountain
Fri Jun 05 2015, 03:33PM
Registered Member #15904
I have no way of knowing in the area you are in what may be easily obtained, but I have some potential ideas you could check into.

Tree trimming companies commonly have to remove trees from yards and lots that have died, become diseased or are endangering buildings. They commonly have to pay to get rid of the wood, you could try and contact a few and let them know that you would be interested in certain types and sizes of wood when it may become available. There are many small private mills around these days even in the cities, one can buy a brand new bandmill these days and be setup ready to cut for 3 to 4 thousand so many people have gotten into them. Try to find someone with a mill in the area and they could likely supply wood or cut sustainable for you that you get from tree trimmers etc...

I am in very rural Idaho so this works well for me, I have a Hudson bandmill and the neighbor John to the east of me has a larger bandmill and a very large blade mill, and just on this 4 mile loop of road there are three other private mills. I also have a best friend that has run a tree trimming service for 30 years and I get a lot of wood from him.

Here you can buy 4 cord wood permits for firewood for $20, you are not allowed to take anything living or take out anything over four feet or anything cedar at all. One could easily cut dead trees which is sustainable into four foot sections to be cut into ovals on a mill or cut into ovals with a chainsaw.

Amazon sells these as well, but they want an exorbitant price for them, an oval 6 inches by 10 inches was over $10. If you can't find a good supply let me know, if you pay for shipping I could supply you with some material, it costs me nearly nothing for this stuff. Good luck on your endeavors.
Moderators: Administrator, Ralph

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF